March 1, 2010

Spring. kthx.

10:01 am

We got out Physics tests back this morning, but I did decide to save mine for later. As I've said all semester, so far Oglethorpe hasn't made me cry yet this year.... yet.

If there's one other thing I've noticed about Oglethorpe is the similarities between it and Tucker High. Both schools seem to have some major confusion in what constitutes a season, because the A/C is kicked on in the winter time and the heat is on in the summer. If only Oglethorpe wasn't for higher education and a private school, I'd gladly blame it on DeKalb's fine school system.

sigh.

Off to study Biology.

***
7:50pm

Well I got a 70 on my Physics test. At least it's better than the 30's and 40's I made last semester. I'll take it any day.

The practical started off alright. I fell to shit when I got to the frog dissection and completely forgot all the organ anatomy. Pretty sure I did okay on the bones, and (maybe) got a couple of organs right, but for the most part I left them blank. That whole section was worth less than 10 points and I have a chance with the ones I guessed on. Then when I got out to the car, I was flipping through my notes and saw a couple more questions that I got wrong... stupid mistakes too. Fluck.

I was really upset after I left and went to get me a bubble tea :). Came home and played with Casper for a bit, then went to take a short nap. And by short, I mean intermittent because about 92 people decided to call me during that time and kept waking me as I was drifting out.

Ate dinner. And now I'm waiting on Family Guy to come on... Monday Mini-Marathon is the best :]

My stupid boyfriend made me mad though. He is so unbelievably hard-headed when it comes to just about anything. He's had an on-again-off-again ear infection/problem for, like, 6 months and he will not go to the doctor. Why? I have no effing clue. But he won't go and he's always digging a q-tip into his ear and scraping out all the ear wax and he's always in a lot of pain. Now, I'm no doctor and my science GPA is certainly below par with my fellow pre-med peers but something inside me thinks that this may be a bad idea. Having a slight buildup of ear wax, I would imagine, is a nuisance but it's a natural process and a natural substance that is secreted by the ear to aid in defense and protection for the canal. But he won't go see a doctor. He did, however, go to GNC today and got these ear-candle things. Before doing some research into it, the only mention I'd heard about these candles is in reference to the slightly retarded, but still hot, Jessica Simpson who posted a Twitter video performing an ear candle on herself as well as a brief news report saying that the FDA recommends against them. I did some small reading about this and, apart from the obvious dangers of getting second degree burns in your ear canal, they're also a hoax...durr. What happens is that you put the candle into your ear and light it on fire (bad idea #1). There is a hollow cylinder that runs the length of the candle and has some component that is supposed to catch the melted wax as is falls toward your ear canal (bad idea #2... the burning wax, that is). When lit, the cylinder is supposed to act as a vacuum and draw out excess ear wax from the canal. When all is said and done, there will be a small pool of (supposed) ear wax sitting at the bottom of the cylinder. Some patients claim that they felt a sudden relief of ear pain, a "brain and mind cleared of from fogginess," and even a cancer cured. *does the bullshit cough* After several tests, it was concluded that the supposed ear wax that was drawn from the ear canal was, in fact, the melted wax from the candle. NO SHIT. Besides burns inside and around the ear canal, other reported injuries include obstructed ear canals (because the vacuum is, indeed, not a vacuum) from leftover candle wax, and ruptured ear canals which result from the extra force of a REAL vacuum device that must be used to get the excess candle wax out. In some extreme cases, reconstructive surgery was needed on the ear drum and canal. I would imagine permanent loss of hearing could also result as well.

Dumbass.

No comments: