
So I managed the survive the forty-four hours of being Facebook free. I must say, it really wasn't all that bad. I've gone longer without it before, when I was in North Carolina for a car show back in September. We were staying at the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere and there was no cell phone service or internet available. Coming off the mountain, you got dumped into a little valley town where the mountain was and there still was no phone service so I had nothing except my books for school that whole weekend. And the swine. [not really, but it was a bad chest cold for a few days]
But in reflection of the nearly two days of being awol from FB, I came to realize how much I really don't care about what a number of the people on there have to say. Most of the time, the people I find that are even worth talking to aren't the ones who update their statuses (stati?) about 182365817621 times per day anyway. Granted I did use to be one of those passionate statusers, I eventually came to realize how silly and obnoxious it is to tell 500 people exactly where you are and what you are doing that many times in a day. That's why I've never really been an avid updater on Twitter, although I do compulsively check it to see TwitPics and DailyBooths from Philip DeFranco and ShayCarl, my two most favorite people on YouTube ☺
Anywho.
I survived finals week without wanting to go jump off of Stone Mountain... Thank you Xanax and Adderall!
No but really, I'm glad this semester is over. Even though next semester is going to be practically identical to this one. And by that I mean this:
Fall 09:
Physics 101 (gag.)
Physics 101 Lab
Biology 101
Biology 101 Lab
Core 203
Spring 10:
Physics 102 (provided I passed with a C- or better... which I said was doubtful before and the final reinforced it. gag again.)
Physics 102 Lab
Biology 102
Biology 102 Lab
Core 202
Chemistry 102 Lab (oh boy! there's some variation!)
cant wait...
I'm looking forward to starting school. I know that you should take a break and rest your body and nerves from the stresses of college, but I do look forward to starting already.
The only thing that I won't be looking forward to is losing the momentum. It's an inevitable thing, for me at least. I love starting new things and I especially love finishing them... but 9 times out of 10, I'll start a new task with all that fresh energy and will hit a slump about midway through and it slides downhill from there so that by the end of it all, I'm exhausted and grumpy and willing to do anything to just finish it and get it out of my face. That's a pretty typical action-reaction that happens every semester.
I think it's pretty routine for any big task, though...
My "dieting"/life change thing is the most in-my-face example of that right now. Back during the week of Halloween, my stepsister and I joined WeightWatchers because when I started tipping the scale at 30 lbs. heavier than I was senior year, I knew I had to change something. So we started and I escalated... for about 4 weeks. I lost four lbs the first week, nearly four the next week, and every week since then has been a loss of 1+ lbs. Then the momentum started wearing away right about the time Thanksgiving rolled around. And it wasn't even Thanksgiving that was my problem day... it was the three and a half days, filled with friends and wine and steak n' shake and stuff, that followed. To make a long story short and keep this rant to only two deviations away from the intended topic, Thanksgiving led me back into my old ways of not caring what I put in my mouth and it's since been an uphill battle to get back on track.
The moral of THAT story is that I should probably figure out a better way to handle getting a handle on things. And not losing my focus. Eyes on the prize, baby.
For now, I'm going to do some short-term goal setting. These goals are ones that I hope to accomplish over the next month, and then on January 10, 2010 (holy shit, when did 2010 happen?!?), I'll give myself an evaluation to see how well I could stick to them and how I handled myself getting there.
Goals:
1. Write a blog every single day. It can be long-winded and ranty like all of them have been so far, or they can just be a one-liner of something. I'm thinking that, if anything, maybe it'll sharpen my literary skills so I can write some bomb-ass MCAT essays when the time comes. The only excused absence for a blog is when there is an instance where my laptop/internet is unavailable and I have absolutely no means of getting either of them.
2. By the time school starts, I want to have lost another ten pounds, putting me at a total of 24.8. My long term goals for that whole adventure is 20 by Christmas, 40 by my birthday, 60 by the time next fall semester starts, and 80 by Halloween. But that's a work in progress..
3. Stretch. I've been fussed at by the athletic trainers at school about how hideously inflexible I am and that I need to be stretching everyday.... They told me this in September. Of 2008. Then the other day, my bestie in massage school told me the same thing after she made me scream while doing whatever sadistic bastard move they wanted her to practice on me. Plus I hear it has calming benefits. :]
4. Make cupcakes for Christmas. I love how this one follows after the losing-weight one... But really, I bought a cupcake decorating book this past summer and starting really getting into doing it... then that downhill momentum thing kicked in and I stopped doing them. So this Christmas, at least just this once, I want to be able to start and finish a project like that.
5. Clean my effing room. And car. You'd think that my OCD complex would have smacked me in the face before I let them get this out of control but DAMN. Okay, in all honesty, they aren't as bad as they have been in the past, but they both are just two more things that I hate to have to look at and worry about because clutter and dirtiness stress me out. So they're being taken out, possibly as early as tomorrow.
I think five is a good number to start with for the first month. I'll update as the progress of them... progresses.
1 comment:
I'm glad you're blogging now, I enjoy reading your updates. And if you post something new once a day, you will see that your writing skills will increase. You will also be more critical in your thinking, which will help you in the long run. Or that's what happened for me at least.
And dieting is hard, trust me I know. I've gained way too much since senior year. And the thing that sucks is my freshmen year of college I lost a lot of that. But I've been running everyday and when school starts next semester, I plan on working out too. The trick I've found is to have someone who will do it with you, so you both can be accountable for each other. And when I come home from the break I can help you if you want!
Post a Comment